Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Near Misses

 I rarely write more than once in a week (or month these days) but something happened yesterday and I wanted to share in case any child or parent could benefit. 

I was driving with my mom to the gym yesterday and I was on one of the busiest streets in town - at least 3 lanes per side. I had a green light and total right of way. I noticed two women and two kids (elementary age) standing on the median as I approached one stretch of the street and suddenly, with no warning, one of the kids started to run across the street. She jumped directly in front of my car. The speed limit in that area is probably 35-40. Thank G-D I was able to stop in time. One crazy part of this was that there was a crosswalk but it had its own light and it wasn’t her turn. She just ran forward anticipating that it would turn. 

Why am I sharing this story? 

First - it was a huge reminder to me as a driver about attentiveness. Had I glanced away even for a minute - this story would have had a tragic ending. Looking down at a phone or even gazing out the window…these days distracted driving is a reality and sometimes we need a reminder to stay vigilant. 

Second - it gave me the chance to review street crossing safety with my kids. Especially teens - I find they are lax and often looking for shortcuts. I reminded them that the key in all these things is awareness of your surroundings. A crosswalk is the right place to cross but even there you have to check and make sure you have a clear path. I reminded them not to try a crossing when cars are coming but they think they have enough time. Pedestrian safety is crucial. 

It also got me thinking about  how even when you do everything right - awful things are possible and fault seriously wouldn’t matter when it comes to the life and safety of a child. But that is a different topic for a different day. 

As we enjoy the spring and our kids get out and play more - please review safety with them so everyone can have a happy and safe season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment