Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Politics

 I tend to stay far away from the subject of politics- everyone is very sensitive about it and often people feel so strongly about their positions as to make it an incredibly difficult topic. So this post will not be about the actual political issues of our times or take a side or pick a candidate. My intention here is to discuss how we approach politics with our children. 

Anyone who watched the debate last night (or should we call it the debacle?) knows that politics in our day and age has devolved into a game of name calling and attacking and has very little to do with the actual issues at hand and more to do with the people talking. We’ve discussed The art of debate in the past and thought through the way to approach debating with our kids. 

What I’m more concerned with when I think of politics is twofold. I want to make sure my kids understand what is happening in the world of politics and I want them to be able to step back and define what they believe in and who they choose to support.  

To the first point, I think it’s important to discuss what the issues are in our political climate. In broad terms, I think they should be taught how the government works in whatever country they reside in. I don’t think they need a civics lesson at five, but each according to their age should be able to understand some basics. Part of feeling a part of a system is understanding that system. As they get older, their knowledge expands and the details emerge. I’m always sad when a grown adult can’t name the three branches of the American system. Once they understand the basics, they can begin to understand the nuance. What do parties basically stand for - what issues are important to them and key to being in a certain one. As they get older, discussing current events helps them understand the world we live in. I’ve always taken my kids with me when I vote - obviously this year will be different - but I wanted them to take pride in the freedom to choose your own government. And I definitely share my personal political view with them. 

Once they have a general sense of what the system itself is they can begin to Look at the particular players and decide who they like and who they don’t like. I encourage open discussion about the different options. I encourage a discussion based on facts especially. If they choose people because they’re pretty or funny that’s not substance. Try to stick to facts and positions. Let their choices be informed. Challenge them and see if they can come up with substantive reasons for their decisions. One of my kids has very different political views than I do, and we spar and debate - but I always go back to the facts - defend your position with substance. I don’t want to hear that so and so is stupid or funny. I want to hear why you would agree with their approach. 

When it comes to politics - like everything else with our kids - they are the future. If we want to raise leaders, informed voters, responsible citizens - we can set the stage for that when they are young and impressionable. We can choose to make courteous civil discussions and model respectful dialogue so that as they grow up they can be the people at the table who everyone knows can have a level headed, open and honest discussion despite whatever their particular political beliefs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment