Thursday, September 24, 2020

Day of Judgement

Yom Kippur is approaching - the day of judgement for the Jewish people. It gets pretty much everyone thinking. There’s tremendous introspection that goes on. We spend time reviewing what’s gone on the past year, what course corrections we need, who we’ve wronged and we try to make amends. 

So before I begin - I’ll apologize if anything I’ve written on this blog has been found offensive to any of my readers.  I’ve tried to bring support and camaraderie in our parenting journey together but inevitably I’m sure there are times I rub wrong Or sound preachy - please know it’s unintentional.

All this judgement discussion gets me thinking about the judgements we constantly make in our own lives, of others, for our kids, in all aspects and how we can improve (or possibly call a halt to) the cycle of judging others. 

In a discussion with a friend of mine a few years ago I made a comment that “I don’t judge people I’m just observing” and she said point blank - “we all judge people.”  If I’m being totally honest I think she’s right. When I sit back and think about it - my first reaction is a judgement and then I go into rationalizing mode. Trying to understand someone else’s approach. 

Lately My kids tell me on the daily that I’m always judging everyone’s corona approach - there will be a discussion about how X went on and we’ll inevitably raise an eyebrow wrong or sound surprised that some thing or another came up. A few weeks ago I met a small child walking and I definitely was judging their parents allowing them to walk solo in the neighborhood- I’ll own it straight up - I was shocked. So how can we stop the judging and bring more acceptance into our lives, our attitudes, our approaches?

This week - I’m opening the floor up to you, my readers, and asking. My next post will feature some amazing advice from parents who respond and give all of us ideas on how to make us less “judgey” and more accepting in our approaches. I welcome any and all suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment