Sunday, September 1, 2024

Outrage and grief

 I don’t know how this is possible but today I feel a new wave of outrage and grief washing over me. October 7th changed the world for every single Jew. There was the before and there is the after. Nothing will ever be the same for Jews of this generation. 

Today, nearly 11 months after this horrific massacre, we were dealt yet another blow as the bodies of 6 hostages were found. They survived the last 11 months only to be brutally murdered as their whereabouts were finally discovered. This level of cruelty is another rung in the ladder of impossibility that has been building since last year. 

So how do we deal with this? How do we tolerate another day of devastation? How do we find hope when the world just seems to keep beating us down?

I have no answers I just need to find a voice for the questions. I can’t stop thinking of Rachel Polin Goldberg - I’ve listened to her speeches, I’ve heard her hope and pray that her son would come home. I can’t imagine the depths of the despair she feels knowing how close they were to being reunited. 

My son came home to tell me he had heard the news and it felt so personal - he had met the mother of a different hostage who was among the 6. 

These are our people, our family. To the world there’s a raging political battle but to me these are human beings, sons and daughters, mothers and fathers. My heart breaks yet again. 

אני מאמין…

1 comment: